Latest news for event_yuletide.asp
Average Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 296 user reviews.
Harvest Scarecrow Displays
October 6, 2012
Scarecrows Accent Fall Rogersville Harvest Displays
Hungry birds have always been a problem for farmers. Birds, such as crows, sometimes ate so much corn or wheat that farmers did not have enough food to last through the winter. event_yuletide.asp
As long as birds are hungry, farmers will look for way to SCARE CROWS. Event_Yuletide.asp
the straw-filled friends known as scarecrows are familiar figures of the rural landscape. The ragged figure has been recorded in rural history for centuries as a deterrent.
Making scarecrows is great fun and can add to the appearance of the garden, as well as keep the birds away. The appearance and personality of your scarecrow is only limited by your imagination.
- Start with a frame of a stick of wood or a tool handle, attaching a shorter cross piece for the arms.
- Create a head or face (decorate the tool face or add a pillow case then give facial details.
- Dress the scarecrow in ragged or discarded clothing or overalls (or clothing suitable to the "personality" you have chosen for your scarecrow).
- Attach socks and shoes for feed, gloves for hands.
- Hair could be made from a wig, straw, raffia, shredded material or a mop head.
- Accessorize with a hat, cap, glasses or sunglasses, jewelry, scarf, ribbon, purse, garden tools, etc.
- Stuffing should be weatherproof, such as straw or stuffed bags. Keep stuffing in clothing by tying with twine, string or ribbon.
- Plant your creation! Push the bottom of the long stake or handle into the ground. The scarecrow could also be attached [event_yuletide.asp] to a fence or gate post.
Participate in Rogersville's fall harvest celebration by decorating your home, business or storefront with colorful seasonal displays using hay, pumpkins, mums, gourds, and cornstalks. Consider really getting into the fun by designing a SCARECROW that is either traditional or maybe one with a different slant. Your scarecrow could represent a celebrity, or depict an aspect of your business. The possibilities are endless. For example event_yuletide.asp
, last year's East Lauderdale News scarecrow was of a camera toting "scare journalist" with a notepad and pencil available. Cadence Bank had a scarecrow that was growing money instead of corn. Jan's Antique Mall had a "scare lady" with a lamp shade as a head. K's Cove Books & Treasure, had a scarecrow who was lounging and reading a book (between snores).
Scarecrows can be made using shovels, rakes or brooms for the face.
Get ready now and start planning how your scarecrow will look. He or she could be funny, serious, big or small, frightening or friendly! Be creative and have fun. Use your imagination and have your scarecrow in place by Saturday, October 6, or before. Remember that our October 1st Saturday is the 6th so plan to come to town to see all the displays and enjoy dinner out and shopping in our many stores on the hiway or in our historic downtown. The displays can be enjoyed for the whole month of October.
The Times Daily has written a short article on the Straw Poll, and can be found in the October 4 paper or online.
[caption id="attachment_1003" align="alignleft" width="300"] Got Fire???[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_1002" align="alignnone" width="300"] Big Brother is Watching You!!![/caption]
[caption id="attachment_1005" align="alignnone" width="300"] Salon Omega, 2011 3rd Place Winner[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_1006" align="alignleft" width="300"] Jan's Antiques[/caption]
?? 2008-2016 Legit Express Chemist.